Re: Oracle 8i and password management accross platforms...

From: Joe Kazimierczyk <joseph.kazimierczyk_at_bms.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:43:29 -0400

Once a user's password has expired, they should not be able to change it themselves. This is usually where a help desk steps in to reset the password, or else the account may be dropped after it's unused for a while longer. Sound like what you need to do is give the users a chance to change their password before it expires, based on the password_grace_time resource limit. As long as the user can still connect (ie, not yet expired), the password can be changed with an 'alter user identified by'. But watch out if you're using the password_verify_function - oracle is saying that with this in place, the 'alter user identified by' no longer works(!) and you must use an OCI function. Check out metalink for more details.