Re: Oracle on a Mainfram?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 22:40:26 -0700

Marc Miller wrote:

> Thank you for your input already. Perhaps I should have elaborated more.
> As I understand it, our corp. wants to partition an IBM os/390 and put UNIX
> on it and then run the financials from there. Our current config. is
> Solaris/UNIX, but we have the legacy mainframe and our IT seems to think
> this would be a good solution for future expansion.
>
> Since I have not heard a lot of people saying their company uses this
> config. I was wondering if it isn't just our old mainframers that can't let
> go and that there might be significant downsides to this.
>
> I am an old FoxPro developer, now front-ending Oracle data and am going to
> training for Oracle app. dev., but I'm not technically strong on the sys.
> config.
>
> "Marc Miller" <mmiller_at_epix.net> wrote in message
> > Has anyone had experiience with Unix and Oracle Financials on a mainframe
> > env.?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Marc Miller
> > CTE
> > Dallas,PA

I think you are correct that they are just trying to find a way to utilize an old piece of hardware rather than part with it. And no doubt there are some mainframers lurking somewhere in the background afraid of losing their jobs due to obsolescence.

My advise would be, even if you can, you probably shouldn't because it could well turn into a maintenance nightmare cost far more than a new Sun or HP box.

PS: And if you don't have some people there really well trained on Oracle Financial ... I'd start wearing a crash helmet and bullet-proof vest to work. This could get ugly.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 00:40:26 CDT