Re: shutdown

From: Chris Kordish <chris.kordish_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 00:58:35 -0400

you have to use

SVRMGRL> shutdown abort

to have oracle disregard the TCP connection from your dead pc which oracle thinks is still alive because solaris will keep probing that
TCP connection for 2 hrs ( by default )
thinking that it is still alive

# ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval

this defaults to 7200000 msecs == 2 hours

setting it to 240000 == 4 minutes

# ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval 240000

so if you parse a

SVRMGRL> shutdown immediate

you will have to wait for 4 minutes and
then solaris will force down your dead PC connection TCP socket and then oracle will see this and let your shutdown immediate do its thing correctly. This is because Oracle 7.3 SQL*Net looks to Solaris for socket status

but later version of oracle got saavy to this ( like versions 8 and 8i and up ) so that regardless of what solaris says oracle knows how to handle this all by itself

( i forget what the parameter actually is though )

some wizrd DBA lsnrctl person will know ...

regards
chris