Re: grant access to new user

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 23:04:12 +0200

No,

That would mean hardcoding the owner of the table everywhere. That is a big nono if you want to maintain production, test and development schemes in one database.
I consider hardcoding the owner as bad practice, and in commercial sw as very bad practice.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Rainer Klomps" <Rainer.Klomps_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:3AF855D6.DE17D658_at_t-online.de...
> Maybe you just wanted to say
> select <any_column(s)> from <scheme>.<table>
> where scheme in most cases is equal to the DB user name of the owner of
 the
> table???
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > "Thomas Vatter" <thomas.vatter_at_blinx.de> wrote in message
> > > I have created a database as 'system' and try to give access for other
> > > users. I created a new user with 'create user identified by passwd'
 and
> > > made 'grant connect to user' and 'grant select, insert, update to
 table'.
> > > But after that the new user can't select the tables, error is 942,
 Table
> > > or view not found. Same in sqlplus as with jdbc.
> >
> > First of all, *NEVER EVER* create tables under the user SYSTEM.
> > Secondly: this is the expected behavior if you only granted access, but
> > didn't create either a private or a public synonyms.
> > This basic question and your previous questions are documented in
 Oracle
> > manuals. Could you *please *
> > at least *try* to consult them, so you don't need to come up with these
> > basic questions?
> > Oracle is not Informix, is not MySql, is not Sybase, it's not Sqlserver.
 You