executions in v$sqlarea not growing

From: Martin Drautzburg <drautzburg_at_altavista.net>
Date: 09 May 2001 00:30:06 +0200

If have experienced a weired thing with v$sqlara. I can see a statement with executions=11. This number does not increase over time, but the "disk_reads" do increase. I KNOW however that this statement executes about 3 times per minute.

The "loads" value keeps increasing though - with a frequency of apx. 3 per minute. The statement in question is quite large (several pages), so I suspect it may be beeing invalidated due to its sheer size - to give room for other statements. In fact the "invalidations" value also keeps growing.

My main concern is: all over the net (including metalink) they tell you to estimate the "badness" of a statement by computing disk_reads/executions from v$sqlarea. In my case this gives me rediculously large numbers. Adding the loads to the executions gives more reasonable results.

Is the net wrong ? Is the "disk_reads" a cumulative value, but "executions" is not ?

BTW I can see lots of other (smaller) statements from the same package with executions way in the 1000s. Received on Tue May 08 2001 - 17:30:06 CDT