Re: Getting Oracle to tell me why it's unhappy

From: Antti Järvinen <costello_at_iki.fi>
Date: 08 May 2001 16:39:22 +0300

stanb_at_panix.com (Stan Brown) writes:
> So (finally) here's the question. How can I configure Oracle to give me
> the gory details f what the appliaction is requestiong Oracle to do,
> preferably just when it fails, as the application ogs _a lot_ of data to
> Oracle.

Several people have suggested turning trace on in the db instance or session which can be done no prob. Another way of doing this is to turn trace on on sql*net, but of course only if your app connects via sql*net. So in the $ORACLE_HOME/app/oracle/product/version/network/admin/sqlnet.ora of your client machine say something like LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=/specify/here/a/directory TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=/specify/here/a/directory TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=SUPPORT
or maybe
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=19
(or 9, or other random number that is documented nowhere?) then run your app and in the sqlnet.log and sqlnet.trc files that appear in the specified directory you should find also your sql statements. Bad thing here is that it may be difficult to try finding values of possible bind variables, that here are of somewhat interest..

--
Antti Järvinen, costello_at_iki.fi
            "concerto for two faggots and orchestra"