Re: multiple dbwr's and deadlock

From: Anjo Kolk <k.kolk_at_chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 07:21:57 GMT

Here is the problem that you *could* be facing:

  1. multiple insert process make buffers dirty in a rate that is higher than the DBWR(s) can write out
  2. at some stage the insert processes will wait on the DBWR(s).
  3. such a wait will most likely be in the middle of an insert when you are holding other resources (memory and enqueues)
  4. increase the number of DBWR(s) and you problems could go away (assuming that you have locking problems because of this).

Infact I just had the same scenario at a customer site. They complained about 'hanging locks' (some process would hold on too locks for a long time and others would wait very long). So they assumed a locking problem. The locking problem in their case was a symptom of not having enough DBWRs.

So what to do in your case:

  1. db_block_lru_latches = 4-8
  2. db_writers = 16 or even higher
  3. _db_block_write_batch = <something decent, less than (db_files * db_file_multi_block_read_count)/2).

Anjo.

James Mu wrote:

> hi,
> You ask a big question. To let it some clear, I think you should record
> the ora number, then go to metalink to query some info.
> James
>
> Maurice Samuels <samuels_at_red.seas.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> > hi,
> > recently i turned on multiple dbwr's (4) and increased the
 db_block_lru_latches (24) on an 8-CPU Sun 5500
> > server with 8G of memory (oracle 8.0.x). a few times when i've tried to
 run 5 insert /*+append ..
> > operations, i get
> > deadlock messages written to the alert.log and some of the operations
 outright fail. but i have no problems