Re: Re: Re: A transaction profile question - block growth always groups of 5?

From: <61.12.128.6>
Date: 9 May 2001 03:00:50 GMT

> > > You'll also note from Steve's website that fragmentation doesn't affect
 this
> > > issue, or cause it, in the slightest, despite what you posted earlier.
> >
> > Wrong. Howard: read your books.
> > http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/creation/extents.htm
> > "Extents may be enlarged further if their allocation would otherwise leave
 a free space fragment of less than 5 blocks."

> > Say you have 12-blocks free extent and you ask for 7-blocks extent. Oracle
 rounds up to 10 but remaining 2 blocks are a too small chunk.
> > So you get all 12.

[snip]

> In other words, to avoid fragmentation in the first place, Oracle may decide
> NOT to round to multiples of 5. Which is entirely the opposite of what you
> stated originally ("Yes, it can get up to 4 blocks more than you requested.
> _If_ the free space is fragmented in such a way Oracle couldn't find
> anything better."),

What is opposite? You already have a fragmentation. Can you get +4 blocks? Yes, it is possible.

> and agrees with my statement that 'fragmentation does
> not cause [rounding]' -because what you have here is potential fragmentation
> *preventing* the rounding.

Err... actually you said 'fragmentation doesn't _affect_ this issue [rounding]'. It does. If you have fragmented space could happen that your extents are not multiples of 5.

> I agree that in this quantum age, concepts of
> causality can be confusing, but not that much in this case, surely.

I was not 100% right and you were not either. Let's agree on that.

Dixi,
Igor.

> [Snip]
>
> HJR

Poster's IP address: 61.12.128.6
Posted via http://nodevice.com
Linux Programmer's Site Received on Tue May 08 2001 - 22:00:50 CDT