Re: Problems with Oracle 8i on W2k - ORA-01034: ORACLE not available - after

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 19:43:03 +0200

On Sun, 06 May 2001 08:42:25 +0100, Phil McAvity <Phil_at_at8ball.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Shutting down server using standby or hibernate does not cause a problem
>but as soon as server has been restarted once Oracle will never work
>again!
>
>I have tried reinstalling Oracle and creating a new database. Connected
>to the database successfully using Toad and sqlplus. Place server on
>standby and then restart server can still connect using Toad. Placed
>server in Hibernate and restarted and can still connect using Toad.
>Restart server and get the "Oracle not available" message. This
>behaviour is consistent.

Sounds like a well-known bug in 8.1.6 corrected in patches 8.1.6.3.4 The service actually starts, but the process freezes when mounting database.

try in srvmgrl
connect internal
and
startup

With the known bug this usually succeeds. I have forgotten whether you have to change the autostart for the database in registry to false before doing this.

I saw a message that the bug has reappeared in 8.1.7, but am not quite sure about that.

Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 12:43:03 CDT