Re: A transaction profile question - block growth always groups of 5?

From: <203.101.17.58>
Date: 7 May 2001 07:46:01 GMT

> Igor: read your books.

Where is it written that next extent always gets rounded up to the nearest 5 blocks? Reference, please!

> I didn't just invent this stuff.

You probably did :) Let's check it out in 8.1.7 but I'm pretty sure it's the same in other versions.

SQL> create table x (x number) tablespace data storage (initial 8k next 8k pctincrease 0);

Table created.

SQL> insert into x (select 1000 from dba_objects);

3053 rows created.

SQL> select EXTENT_ID,FILE_ID,BLOCK_ID,BLOCKS   2 from dba_extents where owner='SYSTEM' and segment_name='X' order by EXTENT_ID;

      EXTENT_ID FILE_ID BLOCK_ID BLOCKS --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------

              0               5            1007               2
              1               5            1009               1
              2               5             262               1
              3               5            1010               1
              4               5            1011               1

5 rows selected.

So... Why I can not see extents "rounding up to the nearest 5" ?

Igor.

> HJR
>

> <61.12.128.6 [Igor Laletin]> wrote in message
> > > From memory, the old 5 block trick was an Oracle 7 thing... but it also
> > > takes place in Oracle 8 (and presumably 8i) UNLESS you specify a MINIMUM
> > > EXTENT clause for the tablespace. If that's specified, then the
 increment
> > > is in MINIMUM EXTENT-sized chunks. If it's not, then it's the *table's*
> > > NEXT clause, rounding up to the nearest 5.
> >
> > Let me disagree. There is no compulsory rounding up to the nearest 5.
> > The extent could be 1 block in size (no min extent size of course).
> > Yes, it can get up to 4 blocks more than you requested. _If_ the free
 space is fragmented in such a way Oracle couldn't find anything better.

> > Igor.

> > Linux Programmer's Site

Poster's IP address: 203.101.17.58
Posted via http://nodevice.com
Linux Programmer's Site Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 02:46:01 CDT