Re: Instance of Oracle 8.1.7 Standard-Edition do not start automatically

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 22:23:19 GMT

Nicolas Bronke wrote:

> First of all, thank you for your help.
>
> > go to the services MMC panel.
> > check the properties of the service "OracleService<SID>" - e.g.
> > OracleServiceDEV
> > see that the service is set to start automatically.
> Yes it is.
>

> > go to the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows NT
> >
> > start - programs - oracle-orahome81 - database administration - Oracle
> > Administration Assistant for Windows NT
> >
> > expand the tree below Databases
> > right click on the database you want to check
> > select Startup/Shutdown options
> > select the checkbox next to Start instance when service is started.
> > click OK.
>
> The pity is, that this option is set to True and it do not have a effect.
>
> Amazing, under Oracle 8.1.6 everythings worked fine.
>
> Regards
>
> Nicolas

In your sqlnet.ora please check the parameter

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) this is so that OS authetication can be used.

Does the current console user belong to the NT Group ORA_DBA? Is the service configured to run under the LocalSystem Account?

I would create a user, e.g. OraDBA, grant the ORA_DBA local group to the user, and configure the oracle services to run as that user. Then see if you can start the service - causing the instance to start.

hth,

Paul Received on Sun May 06 2001 - 17:23:19 CDT