Re: Howto check which init.ora file the instance is using ?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 23:59:06 -0700

Terry Dykstra wrote:

> On NT the default is $ORACLE_HOME/database
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> "andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote in message
> > I think once the database is up, it closes any file handles to the
 init.ora.
> > So no would be my guess.
> >
> > I 'validated' this theory by trying a 'fuser' on the init.ora. Of course,
> > that doesn't mean it's held in a system view, but given files can
 reference
> > others, I somehow doubt it...
> >
> > The default is in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs of course - unless you did a 'startup
> > pfile=...'.
> >
> > "Matthias Hoys" <matthias_at_reference.be> wrote in message
> > > How can I see which initialization.ora file a currently running instance
 is
> > > using ?
> > > Is there a system view to check this ?

True: But that does not answer the poster's question. The database could have been started with any copy anywhere.

In the Windows registry there is an key named ORA_oracle_PFILE that in the case of one of my NT Servers points to e:\oracle\ora81\admin\oracle\pfile\init.ora which is the location actually used when the database was created.

If anyone has a "good" answer to this question please post it as this is one item that I have also wondered about for quite awhile.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat May 05 2001 - 01:59:06 CDT