Re: alter rollback segment

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 16:32:25 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote: (some content removed)

> Hi Paul,
>
> No real gotchas that I can think of, except that you have to use the
> 'uniform size' version, not the autoallocate (anecdotally, anyway -I've
> never bothered wth autoallocate in the first place, so I've never tried).
>
> There is only one nasty with LM Rollback tablespace: you can't create the
> first rollback segment in it unless there is one non-system dictionary
> managed rollback segment (because creating that first one requires you to do
> DML on the bitmap at the header of the tablespace -and that's DML on a
> non-system tablespace, and hence if all you've got is the system rollback
> segment, you'll get that infamous ORA error to the effect that 'you can't
> use system rollback segment for updates in non-system tablespace'). So, you
> need to create one small rollback segment first in boring old dictionary
> tablespace (the SYSTEM tablespace will do fine -the fact that a rollback
> segment is housed in SYSTEM doesn't make it the system rollback segment).
> Once that is brought online, *then* you can create your first rollback
> segment in a locally managed tablespace. And once *that's* created and
> brought online, you can drop the temporary, dictionary-managed one, because
> now you *do* have a non-system rollback segment to handle all subsequent
> updates to the tablespace's bitmap.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Howard,

Thanks much for the detailed info.
I upgraded the DEV server last night from 8.1.6.3.4 to 8.1.7.1.2 (on NT) - so once my exports and backups are finished, I'll give it a go.

In seeing a demo of LogMiner - I'd like to reduce as much as possible the recursive SQL to uet$ and fet$ (and others). It would be nice to have SYSTEM as the only non-LMT.

thanks again.

Paul Received on Sat May 05 2001 - 11:32:25 CDT