Re: Create 8.1.7 instance on Win2000 fails, no controlfile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 00:33:36 +1000

Hi Peter.

When did you fall under the impression that oradim creates a database for you??

It doesn't -it creates the service that will support your Instance. And yes, you do have an Instance, even if you never have a database ('cos an Instance is just a bit of memory looking for something to manage).

I suggest you investigate the 'create database' command. A beautiful piece of SQL syntax that will create you, in short order, a control file, a datafile and a couple of redo logs. (Incidentally, and relating to no-one in particular, but it will also create you a system rollback segment in the system datafile).

And please: go read a manual or two. The fact that a control file is not created does NOT mean an Instance hasn't been started. All Instances are started long before anyone worries about looking for a control file to read.

Regards
HJR "Peter Laursen" <ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk> wrote in message news:9ctmu2$ra3$1_at_news.inet.tele.dk...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a testinstance on Win2000. Software is 8.1.7.0.0.
 When