disk partition question

From: Robert P. McGraw, Jr. <robert_mcgraw_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:05:43 -0600

I am NOT an Oracle DBA but have been asked to install oracle 8.1.5 or a Sun Solaris 4500 and a A1000 Disk Array. Another real DBA will do the actually creation of the data base.

I have made 1 big RAID 5 disk on the A1000 for the data bases.

I have been told that I should use format to create the /u01 /u02..../u06 partions for the DB. My questions is why or why not make directories like /export/oracle/u01....export/oracle/u06 and then link these to /u01 /u02.../u06. It seems that having on big LUN and having the links give more room for the db to expand. If I had individual partitions then I am limited to the space in each partition.

Can someone explain the pros or cons of both ways.

Thanks

Robert Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 10:05:43 CDT