ulimit problem

From: <jason_at_primenet.com>
Date: 2 May 2001 19:58:38 GMT

Well first and foremost I'd like to apologize in advance for posting what will very likely end up being a FAQ. I've not posted to this group before, however I have scoured deja and found a lot of good information on my problem, but nothing that fixed it directly, per se.

I have a Solaris 8 machine and have installed Oracle Enterprise 8.05. I am trying to run root.sh to complete the install, however, this is what happens:

# ./root.sh

Running Oracle8 root.sh script...

The following environment variables are set as:

    ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=  /opt/oracle/u01/app/oracle/product/8.05
    ORACLE_SID=   ems

Are these settings correct (Y/N)? [Y]: y

Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory [/opt/bin]:

Checking for "oracle" user id...
ORACLE_HOME does not match the home directory for oracle. Okay to continue? [N]: y
Please raise the ORACLE owner's ulimit as per the IUG.

Leaving common section of Oracle8 root.sh.

#

Now, according to some of the expert posts I read on deja's archives, the ulimit error message can usually simply be ignored, however, its the "leaving common section..." that I don't like. The root.sh script is not completing, and that's not good.

I should also note that I have installed this product on Solaris 8 machines weekly for the past year, and have never seen this error message. Reading through root.sh, I kinda-sorta have an idea of what is going on, but not enough to make any guesses as to what I should/could be doing to fix this.

Just for grins, I modified /etc/default/login, /export/home/oracle/.cshrc, and put two lines in /etc/system ( the bottom two after the oracle stuff )

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

set rlim_fd_max=4096
set rlim_fd_cur=1024

But nothing works.

Sorry for the lenghly post, but I am about at the end of my wits here and need to have this resolved shortly.

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this situation.

Jason Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 14:58:38 CDT