Re: I/O Buffer size

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 02 May 2001 23:43:11 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Bell <stephen.bell_at_cgi.ca> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Does anyone know how to determine the I/O buffer size of an operating
>system?
>I've been asked to do an install on UNIX box (not sure of what UNIX
>flavour) and I want to size my extents as a multiple of the I/O
>buffer....
>
>Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd think you're worrying about too fine grain, and many more important performance aspects outweigh this one.

While it's true that throwing an extent has a certain cost, this isn't large and shouldn't happen very often. I tend to have very large tables, and those that that undergo heavy insert activity in a tablespace with large (e.g. 1000M) extents, and other tables grouped together in a tablespace with small extents, so small objects don't waste too much space. I find any cost of a large extent is more than compensated for by being amortised over the long time between throwing extents.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/