Re: Trying to decide whether to support DB2 or Oracle

From: Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeo_at_merle.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:00:45 -0500

FWIW I've done DBA and development work on Oracle, Informix and DB2 in that order (oh yeah: CA-DB too ;-), all on *nix systems of various types. My former coworkers and I made the #10 spot on the 1998 WinterCorp VLDB survey for Oracle work on Sequent hardware/software.

I don't understand why you would want to be anything other than a DBMS agnostic. We could discuss this for hours, but for me the most interesting fact about database work is its generality and supposedly "abstract" nature. Of course this doesn't preclude favoring one DBMS over another on some specific platform or for a specific application, or even for some specific tool which your project requires.

My DB2 experience is shallow and recent, but I've come to like the product. Somehat to my surprise, it seems to perform better on moderately-sized hardware than I had expected. Still, I enjoyed working with Oracle very much. My only complaint was that their support staff left a little to be desired (was an Oracle 7 beta customer), but that may have been the luck-of-the-draw. Both products are very complete, in fact to call them feature-rich is an understatement. Honestly, I like them both.

As an aside, I think that comp.databases.oracle no longer exists (though it still may be present on your news server), so I've replaced it with comp.databases.oracle.server in the headers.