Re: Trying to decide whether to support DB2 or Oracle

From: Dave Eastabrook <news_at_elmbronze.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 11:28:13 +0100

Joe Lumbley <joe_at_lumbley.com> wrote
>Why would it make more business sense for a consultant such as myself to
>move into either one of these two camps? I market a CRM application for
>Informix, and I think this may tend to tilt the advantage to Oracle because
>of their dominance in the CRM market, but I'm ready to listen to all sides.

<delurks ng="c.d.i-db2" /> I had an enjoyable DBA contract in Holland during an installation of Vantive, a CRM application bought over by Peoplesoft, and it had very good support for DB2 with tailorable scripts to do most of the setup. As a normally mainframe dinosaur I got to use VI which I'd read about in web authoring groups, so I was well pleased.

Seems to me in any case that though it might take a while for you to become a DB2 expert, with your in-depth knowledge of one RDBMS - Informix - you should find DB2 easy to pick up and then progress in.

:Dave

--
http://www.udb2.co.uk  adds the "U" to DB2 UDB