RAID 0+1 and OFA

From: Glen A Stromquist <stromqgl_at_alpac.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 16:08:22 GMT

I am just moving a database from a AIX machine to a Compaq Proliant 8000 NT(2000) server. There are 10 separate 18 gig drives. I told our NT administrator that I would like a minimum of 5 mirrored drives to spread the datafiles across.

They just came back to me and have it configured the following way - 1 18gig C: drive, 1 34 gig D: drive and 1 34 gig E: drive, and two hot swappable spare drives

His logic is that because there is only 3 scsi controller channels, treating them as three logical drives is the best way, as the contention will be on the channels more than the spindles themselves. I tend to disagree, am I right here? I still say that it should be 5 separate drives. This is our biggest and heaviest use database, and I want it done right the first time.

He says that it is a 0+1 RAID setup (mirrored + striping) Received on Tue May 01 2001 - 11:08:22 CDT