Re: Problem with NT4 / W2k pro clients : application_name as seen from v$session

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 20:05:33 +0200

"Pete Foulkes" <pfoulkes_at_bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:3AEEE6C4.E6E8E0A7_at_bigfoot.com...
> Hi gurus :
>
> The v$session view allows visibility of what workstation / userid /
> application is connected to the database.
>
> On Windows 9x, the application name is the name of the executable
> connected to the db.
>
> On NT4 (several different SP's) and W2kpro workstations, then the
> application name shows instead the full path & name of the shortcut used
> to start the application.
>
> When I logged a call with Oracle, they weren't able to offer any decent
> workaround.
> Does anyone have any good ideas as to how can I tell which applications
> are connected to the database ??
>
> This seems to be the same whether the database is 7.3, 8.05 or 8.1.6
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Pete Foulkes
>
> mailto:pfoulkes_at_bigfoot.com

If I would work for OTS (which I don't) I would consider this as a Microsoft Feature (tm) and direct you to them.

But of course you could use the dbms_application_info package to set the correct application name.
They will show up in v$session, although admittedly in a different column. How's that as workaround? Why rely on shortcuts? I guess right now, the only thing the average support engineer is capable of is querying Metalink. Once, in pre-history, it was definitely different

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue May 01 2001 - 13:05:33 CDT