Problem with NT4 / W2k pro clients : application_name as seen from v$session

From: Pete Foulkes <pfoulkes_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 17:39:32 +0100

Hi gurus :

The v$session view allows visibility of what workstation / userid / application is connected to the database.

On Windows 9x, the application name is the name of the executable connected to the db.

On NT4 (several different SP's) and W2kpro workstations, then the application name shows instead the full path & name of the shortcut used to start the application.

When I logged a call with Oracle, they weren't able to offer any decent workaround.
Does anyone have any good ideas as to how can I tell which applications are connected to the database ??

This seems to be the same whether the database is 7.3, 8.05 or 8.1.6

--
Cheers

Pete Foulkes

mailto:pfoulkes_at_bigfoot.com