Re: large memory allocation

From: Chris Wiss <chris_at_purecarbonnospam.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 18:18:13 -0400

You can run 64 bit Oracle, so the 32 bit limit can be exceeded.

You can overcome the LRU algorithm with things like pinning and setting other db parameters. DB block buffers being one of things where you can the biggest gains. You can also do things like set the cache option for tables that will be read frequently.

Every application will have different performance characteristics which is why tuning is an empirical and not a completely rule based process.

Chances are you will become I/O and CPU bound long before RAM become an issue with a machine with 30GB of Ram.

Chris