Re: installation problem, oracle 8.1.7 , solaris 2.7

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:50:32 -0700

Tab Liao wrote:

> when I run oracel universal installer by enter ./runInstaller , then
> the java screen shows , when I press next , then second page , which
> ask the location of the product source and the location where to
> install it. then I press <next> again, but when the loading-product
> bar shows up and when it is growing to 98%, then the installer
> suspending , no furthre progress.
>
> any information will be appreciately

I have installed 8.1.7 and 8.1.7.1.0 numerous times against Solaris 2.7 without this problem so I'll make some blind suggestions on things to check.

  1. Did you configure /etc/system with the shared memory and semaphore values EXACTLY as recommended by Oracle?
  2. Did you apply the latest patchset from Sun to the UNIX kernel?
  3. Do you have any host windows open with other sessions?
  4. Did you run the installer in the foreground or the background? The readme file, as I recall, clearly says run it in the background which is just basic good sense.
  5. What machine are you installing on? How much RAM? Did you create the two UNIX groups oinstall and dba? Did you create the oracle user? And are you installing as the oracle user rather than as root or someone else? Did you verify that the oracle user owns or has rights to each and every directory required for the installation?

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue May 01 2001 - 00:50:32 CDT