Re: Hot-Stdby-DB vs. Parallel-Server

From: Andrei <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 19:07:21 GMT

if you're talking about VCS (Veritas Cluster Server) then 3 seconds is bullsh!t
more like 3-10 mins (depending on the number of dbs, applications, mount points, etc)

On Tue, 1 May 2001 10:39:25 +0200, "Ian Ledzion" <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com> wrote:

>We looked at a solution by Veritas using Oracle on Sun Solaris. As Andrew
>said, you can do it with fibre, and have upto 9km between sites. If one
>site goes down they claim 2-3 seconds switchover.
>
>"Andrew Mobbs" <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>> >One of the main features of Oracle Parallel Server, is that there are two
>> >servers serving the same disks.
>> >Hence the servers need to be in the same computer room.
>> >A client may not want that for obvious reasons (if there is a fire in the
>> >computer room, both servers will burn down)
>> >So, there are cases where Hot Standby is the best you can do.
>>
>> Fibre attached storage can give you a couple of kilometres between
>> servers (in theory, never seen it implemented myself).
>>
>> --
>> Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email