Re: ORACLE data block corrupted

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 07:39:45 +0200

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:rredct43jtu3pegad9niftsc3fg11b5coc_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:42:39 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker"
> <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

> >"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I encountered a problem when I try to start up in Server Manager:
> >> SVRMGR> startup pfile=d:\twdm\ctlfile\inittwdm.ora
> >> ORACLE instance started.
> >> Total System Global Area 93952944 bytes
> >> Fixed Size 52144 bytes
> >> Variable Size 26714112 bytes
> >> Database Buffers 67108864 bytes
> >> Redo Buffers 77824 bytes
> >> Database mounted.
> >> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> >> ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 2, block # 615)
> >> ORA-01110: data file 2: 'D:\TWDM\DATFILE\RBS1TWDM.ORA'
> >> SVRMGR>
> >>
> >> However, the database can be started up if I add 3 lines and mark out
> >> the rollback segment in the parameter file:
> >> #rollback_segments = ( rb1, rb2, rb3, rb4, rb5 )
> >> _allow_resetlogs_corruption=true
> >> _corrupted_rollback_segments=( rb1, rb2, rb3, rb4, rb5 )
> >> _offline_rollback_segments=( rb1, rb2, rb3, rb4, rb5 )
> >>
> >> Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> The problem happens after I re-installed Windows NT, and ORACLE EE
> >> 8.0.6, but I switched the D: drive and E: drive inadvertently.The
> >> database was on E: drive and ORACLE on D: drive before the
> >> re-installation, and became the reverse after it. To get it back
> >> working, I try CREATE CONTROLFILE and RECOVER DATABASE kind of stuffs.
> >>
> >> BTW, the database is still in 8.0.5 format, maybe I should run some
> >> scripts to upgrade it to 8.0.6.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dino
> >>

> >Datablock corrupted means there is an error on your disk.
> >For now: you were lucky it is a rollback tablespace.
> >Create an extra rollback segment in the tablespace system, drop the
 rollback
> >tablespace, bringing the other rollback segments offline first of course,
> >shutdown the database and make a backup (with verify!)
> >Now remove the affected file
> >Now check the disk
> >If all is OK the bad spot doesn't belong to any file.
> >Bring up the database and recreate your tablespace.
> >And yes of course you will need to run upgrade scripts.
> >
> >Hth,
> >
> >Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> Sybrand,
>
> I wonder why Oracle doesn't provide a GUI interface to change the
> datafile locations recorded in the controlfile? This truely makes a
> simple thing extremely complicated. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Dino

I'm only happen they didn't
In that case you would get a slick product like Sqlserver or Access, where people just ramble away and don't know what they are doing. I don't hate GUIs, but I am only too aware they can be extreemly dangerous, because often they are hiding what you call 'complexity', but that complexity doesn't go away by having a GUI.
Usually people who are using a GUI have less understanding of what they are doing compared to people accustomed to CLIs. And if I may say so, the ordinary about 25 yo developer only was taught which buttons to push, he didn't learn to program. The result of this is always a messy program, and messy systems.
And yes, I admit I worked with punch cards, because that was the only communication mechanism at that time, and with the 1K memory (extensible to 16k) Sinclair ZX 81, where 81 is the year it came on the market.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 23:39:45 CST