Re: revoking a column

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:26:35 +0200

"Chirag (Mark) Patel" <patelc_at_mcss.cas.mcmaster.ca> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.10.10104301034530.30204-100000_at_mcss.cas.mcmaster.ca...

> I would like to know if it is possible to revoke a spefic column in one of
> my Lookup Tables. For example, I have a lookup table with 4 codes (w/
> Description). One of the codes is "4" called "Task Tracking". I want to
> provoke certain users from having access to this option. Is it possible
> to revoke access to certain users where the code is equal to 4?

There are two solutions to this problem: - Creat a view on the lookup table, excluding your code 4, granting other users access to the view only.
Of course, this is a static solution and the list of codes has to be limited - Implement Row Level Security (aka RLS) by using the dbms_rls. In that case you will implement access policies, and get a dynamic solution.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:26:35 CDT