Re: grant ... as user

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:47:30 +0200

"Thomas Vatter" <thomas.vatter_at_blinx.de> wrote in message news:Xns9093DF954C03Fthomasvatter_at_192.168.115.1...
> in informix i had made a check if a user has database access. I used
> "grant something on sometable as user"
> to see if this user has been granted access on database-tables before.
> in oracle there is no "as user" clause. Is there another easy way to check
> if a user has database-table access in oracle?

First of all: try to avoid posting identical messages to various groups. There's no need for that, you don't get a bigger audience. Also, if you really think you need multiple groups, crosspost, so that at least everyone in those groups sees any answer. I usually check answers before I answer myself, and if a question already has been answered, I don't bother to answer it again.
Needless to say, when people duplicate their posts to multiple groups, I don't see the responses and am wasting my time.

I'm not sure where you are hinting at?
Do you want to know whether an user has access to a particular table before you select from it?
In that case, you can check the all_tables view, which shows all tables the user has access too.
Also in Oracle a duplicate grant is always successful: if the grant already exists, you won't get an error message.
And the only way to grant 'on behalf of' occurs when the owner has granted you privilege 'with admin option'. Even sys can't grant on behalf of other users, if he doesn't have privilege himself. If this answer doesn't help you , please try to clarify your needs.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Apr 30 2001 - 15:47:30 CDT