Re: Exp/Imp or Migrate ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 02:44:34 GMT

I've seen some 7.3.4 > 8.0.5 > 8.1.6 and 7.3.4 > 8.1.5 migrations work well. I've also seen some fail miserably - usually when the messages in the Alert.log have been ignored or misunderstood.

Assuming you have a clean database, everything working well and no strange messages in the alert.log, you should have a clean migration.

However, there are a number of reasons for building a nice, clean 8.1.7 environment (note - if possible, move straight to 8.1.7, as 8.1.6 will be desupported soon) Some of these reasons include the block size change you mention. Those reasons are listed in the 'migration' related manuals, which you can also get at http://technet.oracle.com

/Hans