Re: how to open db with bad tablespace

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:56:49 -0700

> Hello, everybody:
> Oracle 8.1.7 on Sun2.6
> Trying to create an additional datafile for tablespace xyz I screwed up.
> Now xyz tablespace is offline; I deleted the 2nd (just created) datafile
> using OS. Then I recreated this datafile (0 size) using UNIX touch
> command.
> I could not put xyz tablespace back online. Trying to fix this, I screwed
> up even further.
> I ran: alter database backup controlfile to trace. Then I edited trace
> (deleted lines that put xyz offline and line related to just created 2nd
> datafile). Then I ran script to recreate controlfile having db in mount
> mode. After this I cannot even open database, but still I can mount it.
> Now I just want to drop the tablespace involved (xyz) and be able to open
> the database at least.
> No backups exist; noarchivelog mode. I only saved controlfiles and
> exported system.dbf before applying script to recreate controlfiles.
> Please advise.
> Thank you very much.
> Joseph

You've done enough things you shouldn't have ... what you were thinking with respect to creating a tablespace with touch is beyond my comprehension. You must know a datafile is not just an empty file.

Anyway I think a better question at this point is what is there in the instance that you actually need to recover. Because if the answer is nothing I'd trash the instance and rebuild the entire thing from scratch.

And this time actually read the documentation before launching into a career of Database Destroyer.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Apr 29 2001 - 21:56:49 CDT