TRUNCATE TABLE acquire rollback segment?

From: Tom <cmc3232_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:31:46 GMT

I always thinking TRUNCATE TABLE is fast because no rollback is generated for the operation. Suddenly, I found foolowing in COUCHMAN's DBA certifaction book:

"Despite your inability to rollback a table truncation, Oracle does acquire a rollback segment for the job. Why? Because if you terminate the truncate table command, or some failure occurs, the rollback segments stores the changes made for the duration of the truncate operation to enable crash recovery."

I do not quite understand what information is put in the rollback for the TRUNCATE operation. Your help is appreciated.

Tom Received on Sat Apr 28 2001 - 13:31:46 CDT