Re: Largest Table Size in Oracle

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:00:46 +0100

You're out by a couple of orders of magnitude here ;)

The maximum file count for a tablespace is 65533. Each file can be 4 M blocks (2^22)
Each block can be 32K

A table can be partitioned - so can be spread across all tablespaces you create, whether it is 66 tablespaces of ca. 1000 files each, or 65,000 tablespaces of 1file each.

Call the file count 65536 for convenience - So the maximum table size would be:

    2 ^ 16 (file count)
x 2 ^ 22 (block count)
x 2 ^ 15 (block size)

Of course, we haven't left room for indexes, so the tablescans might take some time.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html