Re: 8.0.5 bug?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:49:17 +0200

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:29:35 +0200, hegyvari_at_ardents.hu wrote:

>Greets,
>
>Config: 8.0.5 running on RedHat 6.1.
>
>I had a strange problem this morning: some of the queries took forever to
>finish. Upon close examination I found that those queries all had one
>thing in common: all of them needed the temp tablespace for sorting.
>Started Storage Manager, clicked on tablespace and I had to wait at least
>20 seconds (instead of one) to get the list of tablespaces. Shooed away
>all the users and tried to remove the TEMP tablespace. I could see the
>process start on the server, but after 50 minutes of waiting it was still
>running, so I shut down the instance. Started it again and assigned the
>database users to a different temporary tablespace, let the users come in
>and everything went fine afterwards. I suspect there must be a bug in
>SMON which messes up TEMP, and also my rollback segments seem to be very
>large. Anyone experiencing anything similar?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Hegyvari Krisztian

An unlikely story. Most likely though your temp tablespace has a very small initial and next default storage. This results in temporary segments with many extents.
If you are going to drop that tablespace you will have very high activitity on fet$ and uet$ in the dictionary, as the change in status of the extents need to be administrated. BTW: 8.0.5 has been desupported more than a year ago, so in the very unlikely case it is a new bug, Oracle is not going to address it.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 08:49:17 CDT