Re: sql group by and order by clause

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:23:13 +0200

"Ted Chyn" <ericis6_at_home.com> wrote in message news:8RiG6.114783$J%5.39877718_at_news2.rdc2.tx.home.com...
> sir, Is there a sql example example of
>
> group by a,b give different result than
>
> group by a,b
> order by a,b
>
> thnx ted chyn(tedchyn_at_yahoo.com)

IMO, this is not important. Formally, a group by is not guaranteed an ordered result,and yes, I did see cases where that didn't happen. However, *formally* it isn't guaranteed, so you shouldn't *rely* on the assumption holding true. It might not apply in a future release. I have been relying once on a Dutch date format (way back in the Oracle 6 years, where only init.ora parameters could change it) when Oracle in a bug fix released changed the format. I assure you we had fun changing all our programs.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 14:23:13 CDT