Challenge: Rename a database

From: John Skyner <jskyner_at_jtc-computing.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:21:18 +0100

Does anybody know how a database can be renamed?

The scenario is this:

I have a production database (8.0.6), running on an RS/6000 SP node (AIX 4.3.3), which needs to be cloned on another (development) server.

Basically, I have performed a bootable (MKSYSB) backup of the live server, which I have used to clone onto the development server. I also stopped the database and completed a full (ADSM) backup of all of the external filesystems, which I have also used to create all of the external Volume Groups and logical volumes required by the database.

Before I start the database, I need to rename it.

Please note that I am not a qualified DBA and I am merely trying to find out how this is done because my DBAs don't know how to do it, but I have known past associates who have done this on a regular basis.

If you could provide step-by-step instructions by email (jskyner_at_jtc-computing.co.uk), or point me towards a document available on the web, it would be most appreciated.

Regards,

John Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 15:21:18 CDT