Re: create database

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:38:29 +0100

Someone connecting over the network will require an active database (by which I mean via SQL*Plus or whatever, not telnet) to log in to.

Someone on the server (via telnet) who can physically look around is best placed to decide how and where to create the database. Not someone out in the cold thrashing away via SQL*Plus.

As Sybrand says, there's a difference between creating a database, and planning one... ;-)

Anyway, you basically:
create initYOURSID.ora in .../dbs/
svrmgrl
connect internal (or "sqlplus /nolog" and "connect / as sysdba") startup nomount
create database etc etc

There may be other NT-specific steps, but I dunno them. Have heard mention of 'oradim', maybe it's relevant. Hit the manuals looking is (always) the best advice.