Re: oradim equivalent on UNIX?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:42:25 GMT

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:28:43 GMT, "M Greener" <mmgreener_at_sprintmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to create a new instance of Oracle on an AIX box. What is the
>equivalent to an "oradim -new" command on a Windows NT system?

UNIX doesn't need to control services like NT does, via a special utility.

There are some tools in UNIX that will allow you to do the setup for a new database, and I'd recommend you use them since you do not appear to have much experience with the command line.

If I'm wrong and you can use UNIX commands, assuming you're using OFA:

1- edit the /etc/oratab file and add a line for the ORACLE_SID of the instance you want to add.
2- add a directory under the OFA admin directory for your new instance. Call it the same name as ORACLE_SID. 3- Copy the structure under this from another instance. 4- Edit a new init${ORACLE_SID}.ora in the pfile directory. Use one of the other ones as a base.
5- Add a symbolic link (ln -s command, look it up in man pages), describing your init<instance>.ora file in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
6- Create a new CREATEDB.sql script. Use one of the existing ones, edit and save in the proper spot of OFA. 7- Change the ORACLE_SID environment variable of your current session to the new instance name, export it, then from where the CREATEDB script is, start svrmgrl, connect internal and run the create script. Oh, almost forgot:
6.5 - Find out where you want the database files to live and make sure there is enough disk space there. If not, then add the space and only then do 7!

Have fun with the command line! ;-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam