SERVICE_NAME and SID

From: <astrodan_at_tiscalinet.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:21:30 GMT

Hello! This is Danilo from Rome.
I've the following error message:

TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

                   (Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris)

In listener.ora and tnsnames.ora there are no entry like SERVICE_NAME=..... Which are the differences between SERVICE_NAME and SID? I know the SID from $ORACLE_SID, but how may I know SERVICE_NAME?

And, which entries have I put in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora ??

Please help me !!!

Danilo Received on Thu Apr 26 2001 - 13:21:30 CDT