SID's, service_names. listener and jdbc again

From: Björn Nilsson <b.w.nilsson_at_telia.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:22:35 GMT

Sorry about that (Blushing all over.)
Here are the specifics:
The listener.ora file on the server looks like this:

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
      )

(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.10.50)(PORT = 1521)) )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
        (SESSION = RAW)
      )

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.10.50)(PORT = 2481))
    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /u02)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = oralin)
(ORACLE_HOME = /u02)
(SID_NAME = oralin)

    )
  )

and my client tnsnames.ora file looks like this:

ORALIN.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.10.50)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = oralin)

    )
  )

(plus some stuff about http...)

Now, when, from the client using jdbc, I can connect using the following connection string:
"jdbc:oracle:oci8:@oralin.world", "scott", "tiger"

but when trying
"jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.10.50:1521:oralin", "scott", "tiger"

I get an "I/O exception, The network adapter couldn't establish the connection."
(I get a similar error, ORA-12545, if I try defining and testing a SID entry called oralin.world in Net8.)

Now, I guess that I have to set sometning up on the serverside. Do I just have to fill something into the existing lisetener.ora file, or do I have to configue a new listener service? Or is it the fact that the service_name shouldn't have the same name as the SID?

I hope that I make a bit more sense now.

Regards

Björn