Re: Firewall

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:31:13 GMT

Port 1521 is used to get the initial connection. Oracle then chooses a random open port and sends the client back the new address, making it difficult if your traffic is coming through a firewall. Your resulting error will be TNS-12203.
If it is on NT, add a registry setting under Oracle for USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE. This way, it will only use the port the listener is on (i.e. 1521).
Check out Note 2064550.102 in MetaLink for some work-arounds to avoid opening up your firewall. (Go to 'TECHNICAL LIBRARIES' and then choose the 'Firewalls' section).

John Alexander
www.SummitSoftwareDesign.com
St. Petersburg, FL