I/O per sec. and tps experiences ?

From: John Anon <john20942_at_altavista.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:15:10 +0000

I understand that the general way to get high (400-10000) tps (transactions per second) is more spindles (disks). It seems that this will not always work. Your problem has to be parallelizeable is the way I would put it. Further you must do the parallelization by either making sure that the locks are (usually) on separate tables or pages (I think oracle works by pages right?), or that you batch many transactions within a single begin / end trans.

So my questions are :
1) Did i describe the situation correctly above ? 2) How often have you all been stuck with legacy code that is not parallelized ?
3) How often do you encounter problems which are inherently sequential in practice ?
4) Is the only solution to (3) using a solid state drive if you need transaction integrity ?

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com Received on Wed Apr 25 2001 - 19:15:10 CDT