Re: Database Server Consolidation

From: Patrick <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:12:56 GMT

Now that I have an unbiased reply, I can say that I agree with Sybrand 100%. I have not lived through this before, so I couldn't speak from experience. The server consolidation effort was started by the Unix admin group, and because of whatever screwed up in-house politics exist here, the DBA's have yet to be consulted on the effort. Rather than just whine about it, I'd rather gather as much information about the effort and how misguided it is, and then dig in for a fight. I will not go willingly......

If anybody else has an opinion, pro or con, I would love to hear it.

Patrick

In article <tee518ia5qb413_at_beta-news.demon.nl>, Sybrand Bakker says...

>Comments embedded
>
>Hth,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
>"Patrick" <nospam_at_newsranger.com> wrote in message
>> I am looking for input on the idea of combining all database server's onto
 one
>> Enterprise class server. I have heard that the server can be partioned
 into 'N'
>> virtual machines. I have my own thoughts on this, so I'll try to stay
 neutral
>> in the questions. Currently we have databases that are Oracle version
 7.3.3 up
>> to 8.1.7. We currently run on Windows NT, Solaris and AIX. The
 enterprise
>> server will be either Solarios or AIX. The database sizes range from 180
 Mb to
>> 500Gb (to grow into the terabyte range within a year). The large
 databases use
>> EMC disks, as I would guess everything on the Enterprise server would. If
>> anybody has any feedback at all, I would appreciate hearing it.
>>
>> 1. What are the advantages of putting all databases on one server?
>Cut down on maintenance costs and licenses. Usually a penny wise and pound
>foolish operation.
>
>> 2. What are the disadvantages of putting all databases on one server?
>Looks quite obvious to me. That one single server is to become the single
>point of failure. It will also definitely suffocate on the load, as having a
>terabyte database in conjunction with others is already a big nono.
>The databases will just compete for resources and the performance is likely
>going to be awful. Also, I don't see why you want to run all those (partly
>desupported) versions from one system, maintaining many different versions
>is in itself already a problem.
>
>> 3. Has anybody tried this?

 Yes, forced into it by a customer