Re: Good random number source in oracle

From: Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:58:55 +0200

I quote "you can use the low end of the systdate squared and then modified further". By low end I assumed that you mean taking the last set of digits.

However, let's look at what happens if you take the part of sysdate after the
decimal:

  1. Assume you are taking SYSDATE to the millisecond, and are testing 100 possibilities / second.
  2. It would it would take you 10 days to check all the available possibilities. If start with the most likely times to change your password, you can get a match faster.
  3. Because you are testing a linear set of values, you can break the work down over several machines, each investigating a subset of possibilities. And because you are testing a fixed algorithm, you can store the possible results in a table, and have them available for analysis later. At 1000 possiblities per second the total is 86.4M lines in the table, which is easily within the Oracle range.

Of course this assumes that someone really wants to get into your system and is willing to commit the resources to crack your passwords in the first place.

PS Check out www.random.org for a discussion on random number generators.

"Steve Long" <steven.long_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:9c4fo5$8s7$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net...
> why are you assuming truncation? try reading the post in its entirety and
> without reading into it.
>
> "Ian Ledzion" <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com> wrote in message
> > Using milliseconds would mean that a cracker just has to run through
 1000
> > possible permutations. Squaring the number would still mean 1000
> > permutations. In my view true randomness cannot exist withing a
 computer
 as
> > the systems are rule-based.
> >
> > A thought: try downloading files from SETI_at_home and sequences out of
 that,
> > as cosmic background noise *is* random, unless you've had the misfortune
> > land on an ETI signal...
> >
> > "Steve Long" <steven.long_at_erols.com> wrote in message
> > > if you are using sysdate, recall that sysdate gets down to
> > > milliseconds...what is the likelyhood that anyone would know the
 precise
> > > value of time wrt milliseconds when the function actually received a
 value
> > > from the system clock? you can use the low end of the systdate
 squared
 and
> > > then modified further...etc etc
> > >
> > > "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp_at_enkur.wsr.ac.at> wrote in message
 Currently

 accident.