Re: Management Server - What?

From: Fred A G <nospam_at_allowed.localhost>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:21:46 +0200

"Kenneth Jensen" <kennethj_at_mailme.dk> wrote in message news:9c3h7g$jf9$1_at_news.inet.tele.dk...
> I have never used Oracle before, but now I have installed the Oracle
> Enterprise version. When I try to use the console in the Enterprise
 Manager,
> I am asked for the name of the Management Server. I have tried the DB
 name,
> the domain name and the network name of the computer, but nothing is
> accepted.
>
> I just want to view the tables in some kind of console and to have an
 ODBC
> access to the DB so that I can create some DDL on the DB.
>
> /Kenneth

Well, I assume you installed 8.1.x on your Windows box and run everything locally. You could try DBA Studio where you have all the Xyz Manager section. For more "hands-on", use SQL*Plus (character based UI). Search the accompanying docs and perhaps see the Quick Tours.

The Management Server requires a repository database and is used for "enterprise-wide" management of all you databases, sort-of.

Hth
/Fad Received on Tue Apr 24 2001 - 17:21:46 CDT