Re: Suggestions for naming conventions

From: Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:36:51 +0200

You should be aware that Oracle is case-insensitive when it comes to DB objects, so a name like orderHeader will become unreadable, so you would have ORDER_HEADER instead.

The convention I have evolved is to prefix each table or view with a code for the system area, followed by a T or V, followed by the name. I give each table a unique 2-4 letter code which is used to prefix each column. I might be a bit over the top, but the development team finds it makes their work easier.

A few examples (from a financial app) are:

CUR_T_CURRENCY with columns CUR_IDENTIFIER, CUR_CODE, etc
JOB_T_JOB_SERVER: JBS_IDENTIFIER, JBS_CODE, ...
JOB_T_JOBQ with columns JQ_IDENTIFIER, JQ_STATUS, JQ_JOB_SERVER
JOB_V_JOBQ (view), JQV_IDENTIFIER, JQV_STATUS, JQV_SERVER_CODE,

Hope you get the idea.