Re: ORA-12560: TNS: Fehler bei Protokolladapter

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:39:32 +0200

"Dietmar Ruzicka" <e9627019_at_student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message news:9c2b90$rnd$1_at_news.tuwien.ac.at...
> Hi,
>
> I installed oracle 8.1.7 on a win2000 server using the
 minimum-installation
> option without creating a database.
>
> When i start the svrmgrl - program the following error appears.
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 2000, Oracle Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
>
> ORA-12560: TNS: Fehler bei Protokolladapter
> SVRMGR>
>
> I could not find the error-number in the documentation. What does this
> error mean and how can I solve the problem
>
> thanks for you help
>
> Dietmar Ruzicka

This error occurs on NT when ORACLE_SID hasn't been set. Obviously, not creating a database, included also not creating and starting an instance, which is why you are getting this error. If you want to do it all manually you first need to use oradim to create an instance.
Oradim -? will show you all the available parameter. And BTW: ORA-125* error messages are in the sqlnet documentation as they are sqlnet error messages. Can't help it either, and it is about the only block where an incorrect facility name (ORA instead of TNS) has been chosen.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Apr 24 2001 - 10:39:32 CDT