Help: Problem registering a database with RMAN on 8.1.7

From: bonminh Lam <no_spam_at_bmlam.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:14:00 +0200

This is my second attempt to get RMAN working with Oracle 8i. I gave up with version 8.1.5 and have now upgraded two instances to 8.1.7 under Linux. The two instances reside in the SAME machine. I intend to use instance TST3 to host the recovery catalog and PRD1 as the target. Hence I created a user to own the catalog on TST3. I then connected as the catalog owner to the target instance PRD1 and tried to register the database as follows:

RMAN> register database;

RMAN-03022: compiling command: register
RMAN-03023: executing command: register
RMAN-08006: database registered in recovery catalog
RMAN-03023: executing command: full resync
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-07005: error during channel cleanup
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel
default
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19550: cannot use backup/restore functi
ons while using dispatcher
RMAN-10031: ORA-19550 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.CFILEUSECURREN
RMAN-03008: error while performing automatic resync of recovery catalog RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel default
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19550: cannot use backup/restore functi
ons while using dispatcher
RMAN-10031: ORA-19550 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.CFILEMAKEANDUS
ESNAPSHOT It looks like my instance hosting the catalog is using the MTS configuration without my intention, though I am not sure if that is the problem. Belows are the MTS related INITSID.ORA parameters for TST3:
NAME	VALUE
mts_circuits	0
mts_dispatchers
mts_listener_address
mts_max_dispatchers	5
mts_max_servers	20
mts_multiple_listeners	FALSE
mts_servers	0
mts_service	tst3
mts_sessions	0

Any idea what went wrong? Thanks!

--
To reply to me directly, please mail to: bmlam at online dot de