Re: Stored Procedure Newbie

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:57:57 +0200

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:31:40 -0500, "Rich Rans" <rich_rans_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>When i try to create a stored procedure, i get a message that says the
>procedure was compiled with errors. When I try to execute the procedure i
>get 'SYS.procedureName is not a valid object. I know the procedure do not
>have syntax error as they are very basic and copied from a book.
>
>I believe i have to run Dbmsstdx.sql prior to creating procedures. I did
>this and it seems to have executed properly.
>
>Any hints on how to debug this.
>
>Thanks

Yet you are missing something very basic. Without any doubt those procedures were not designed to be created under the SYS user which is what you are doing. You should *NEVER EVER* use SYS to create *YOUR OWN OBJECTS*. Also dbmsstdx has nothing to do with running procedures, and as you don't post any error messages, it is impossible to help you. I would recommed you first thing of all, stop using SYS for this purpose and use a proper account.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Apr 22 2001 - 23:57:57 CDT