Re: 5 instances = too much ???

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:02:35 -0700

I think you will find that a lot of vendors put out Oracle products when in fact what they know is ODBC, rather than Oracle. These products are almost always a disaster. Forget the cost of the product. Think cost of consulting services to clean up the mess.

My advice to people considering third-party products for Oracle includes: 1. Get a list of other companies of about the same size using the product ... and don't get it from the vendor ... do your homework. And talk to their IS staff directly ... not their management. 2. See what storage parameters they use on their tables and indexes. If no storage parameters or dumb stuff like pctincrease of 50% don't let them anywhere near your company.
3. Make your purchase of their product contingent on their having it up and running within a set number of days beginning the installation. 4. Make sure there is at least one other vendor that supports their product with tuning and debugging services so you can fire them if you need to.

Daniel A. Morgan