Re: Windows XP: What Are You Planning To Do?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:59:02 +0100

We're still considering win2K, both for desktop and server use. Currently we are win95/novell with a mix of Unix /NT for application servers. I can't see that WindowsXP will be as big a debatable for us when the time comes.

The article you refer to is irrelevant from an organisational point of view though surely. It refers to

Limitations on ripping music. so what.
Limitations on music hardware ditto
Changing the licensing model. This *is* relevant, however the rental model is , for the time being only an option.

If these are the biggest objections to windowsXP it will still win out over Linux, which is hard to configure and hugely, hugely difficult for end-users to use.

FWIW I think there are other objections to windowsXp and that Linux is gaining ground rapidly. However I don't see a linux alternative to windows in the next three years at least.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA